Gaining the RIGHT Experience for Your Sports Career
The RIGHT experience matters to sports employers! In this course we'll teach you how to gain experience that counts.
Experience is What Sports Employers Expect. But Not Just Any Experience.
Having a strategy and approach for how you will learn industry-relevant skills is incredibly important for your career growth. Employers hire the people who have the skills they need - it's that simple!
In this course we're going to teach you:
- Strategies and tactics for choosing internships
- How to get the most out of each internship experience
- Common mistakes people make on internships
- Leveraging your experiences
- Building a network from your experiences
- The benefits of volunteering
- How to conduct a yearly HEAT CHECK
The sports industry is a competitive environment to break into, but don't let that dissuade you from following your passion!
Led by 20-year sports industry veteran and host of the Work in Sports podcast Brian Clapp, who has consulted with hundreds of active sports executives and hiring managers in the creation of this course, we will teach you how to become the job candidate sports employers can’t wait to hire.
In this course we will focus on gaining the RIGHT experience, which means, we will deeply target how to get the experience that sports employers expect you to have!
Let's get to work!
“I’m living proof that Brian’s advice works! I took his advice prior to applying for jobs, interviewing, and starting my internship, and it’s worked every time.”
- Jake Kernen, Florida State University
Check out the FREE preview available in the course outline below - including a downloadable worksheet!
StartPerspective on Experience [VIDEO] (2:43)
StartStrategy and Approach to Internships (0:53)
StartDeveloping an Internship Strategy for Sports Careers [VIDEO] (11:18)
StartAssignment - Strategy and Approach to Internships
StartApproaching Internships from the Employers Perspective (0:56)
StartAssignment - Approaching Internships from the Employers Perspective
StartFour Ways to Get the Most out of Your Internships (1:01)
StartAssignment - Four Ways to Get the Most out of Your Internships
StartHow to land a sports internship with little to no experience [VIDEO] (4:42)
PreviewCommon Mistakes People Make on Sports Internships (0:47)
PreviewAssignment - Common Mistakes People Make on Sports Internships
StartHow to Nail Your Sports Internship [VIDEO] (9:05)
StartYour Sports Internship Final Checklist [VIDEO] (7:12)
PreviewSports Internship Worksheet [DOWNLOAD]
StartWhy volunteering is an excellent way to discover your passion (0:11)
StartAssignment - Why volunteering is an excellent way to discover your passion
StartAdditional methods to gain experience and build out your resume (0:51)
StartAssignment - Additional methods to gain experience and build out your resume
StartMatching Your Owned Skills With Employer Needs (0:36)
StartHow to Conduct a Yearly Heat Check (0:46)
StartUnderstanding and Executing a Heat Check [VIDEO] (7:19)
StartHeat Check Worksheet [DOWNLOAD]
StartAdditional Relevant Podcast Episodes
Get started now!
"I've had Brian speak in my class at Arizona State University the last two semesters and I can't stress this enough, the information he shares is life changing for my students. "
- Ed Olsen, CEO Line Drive Sports Marketing & Adjunct Professor Arizona State University.
What Do You Get?
In this course we will focus on Gaining the RIGHT Experience. Making the right choices here will help you align your acquired skills with exactly what employers need.
When you sign up for this course you will receive lifetime access to:
- Pages of actionable career advice focused on networking skills
- Exclusive video content
- Audio content and interviews with industry experts
- Downloadable worksheets and checklists
As you progress through the course you’ll feel your confidence grow, and learn how to let your abilities shine through. You will be armed with the tools to convince sports employers you are the real deal.
Other modules available to purchase individually, or as a complete bundle, include:
- Building and Maintaining Your Network
- Mastering your Resume, Cover Letter and Personal Brand
- Interviewing for Jobs and Internships
Buy this course for just $39, or get all four for $99 - that's a 58% savings!
The WorkInSports.com Sports Career Game Plan is comprehensive!
“I used Brian’s tips and tricks heading into the Texas Rangers Sports Career Fair and I received two different internship offers and multiple other great connections. Thank you, Brian, this has been a real game changer”
Ben Milliet, Trinity University
Inside the Sports Career Game Plan
There are four main pillars essential to becoming the best possible candidate for jobs in the sports industry:
- Gaining the RIGHT experience [This Module]
- Building and Maintaining Your Network [$39]
- Mastering Your Resume, Cover Letter, and Personal Brand [$39]
- Interviewing for Jobs and Internships [$39]
We recognize that people absorb information differently, which is why our course content consists of written articles, audio files, videos, and worksheets.
- Our exclusive videos are hosted by course mentor Brian Clapp and provide a deeper look into the subject matter, utilizing case studies and first-hand stories to make the content come to life.
- Audio files are hand selected from the Work in Sports podcast, some are focused on a specific topic in the curriculum, while others are interviews with sports industry experts.
- Our articles are not like a textbook. There isn’t any dry content that is hard to get through, everything is written to be actionable and energized.
- Quiz yourself. At the end of each lecture, take a quiz that immediately tests your understanding of the content.
- Use our downloadable worksheets and checklists to keep yourself on track and provide a reference point for you to always refer back to.
- Access 24/7 at home, work or on the go! View the course materials on your desktop, tablet, and phone.
“I just had my first sports industry interview today and got invited back for a second - I credit that to the advice you have shared! Thank you, Brian!”
Kayla Bieber, Washington State University
Industry Experts Included in the Sports Career Game Plan:
- Colleen Scoles, Philadelphia Eagles Talent Acquisition Manager
- Mailynh Vu, Cleveland Indians Assistant Director of Talent Acquisition
- Chris Valente, Fenway Sports Management Director of Sales
- Mike Judge, Cleveland Browns Recruiter and Inside Sales Manager
- Don Costante, Kansas City Royals Director of Game Entertainment
- Dan Rossetti, President Prodigy Sports Recruiting Agency
- Katie Gillen, Atlanta United FC Manager Social Media and Analytics
- Samantha Wood, Philadelphia Eagles Director of Digital and Social
- Lauren Sisler, SEC Network Reporter
- Bryan Srabian, San Francisco Giants VP of Digital Media and Brand Development
- Vincent Pierson, Minor League Baseball Director of Diversity and Inclusion
- Christopher Flynn, Oakland A’s Sales Manager
- Leigh Steinberg, Iconic Sports Agent
- Emily Jaenson, Reno Aces General Manager
- Brian Killingsworth, Vegas Golden Knights Chief Marketing Officer
- Nicole Lynn, Sports Agent Young Money APAA Sports
- Dior Ginyard, NFLPA Senior Player Manager
These experts share insider information on how they got their first job, built their network and have grown in their career. They dig deep into the challenges they’ve faced, the culture of sports employment, what they look for when hiring and so much more.
In this course, you won’t just learn from Brian Clapp, you’ll learn from this esteemed group of sports industry experts!
Brian Clapp has worked for over 20 years in the sports industry, beginning at CNN/Sports Illustrated as a Production Assistant in 1996. After working his way up to Producer, Brian branched out to Fox Sports Northwest where he was named Coordinating Producer of the Northwest Sports Report and other ancillary programs. The Boston native was promoted to News Director of Fox Sports Northwest after his first year in Seattle, where he was in charge of a multi-million dollar production budget, hiring and managing staff, journalistic decision-making and partnerships with the Seattle Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics and Sounders, and collegiate partners including the University of Washington and Washington State University.
After his time at Fox Sports Northwest, Brian joined the team at WorkInSports.com as Director of Content, sharing career advice and hosting the award-winning Work in Sports podcast.
You can contact Brian directly at [email protected] for any questions about this career changing course!