Sports Career Game Plan
The essential tools and strategies to get hired in the sports industry, presented by WorkInSports.com
Setting Students Up For Success
All of your hard work taking courses in college are for naught if you don't become an expert in the process of getting hired.
That is where this course comes in.
This course will teach you the strategies and tactics necessary to stand out from the pack. All of the coursework is crafted by 20-year sports industry veteran Brian Clapp, who has consulted with hundreds of active sports executives and hiring managers in the creation of this course.
We will focus on the four pillars of getting hired:
- Gaining the RIGHT Experience
- Building and Maintaining Your Network
- Mastering your Resume, Cover Letter and Personal Brand
- Interviewing for Jobs and Internships
Your will have lifetime access to this course and all future updates!
“I’m living proof that Brian’s advice works! I took his advice prior to applying for jobs, interviewing, and starting my internship, and it’s worked every time.”
- Jake Kernen, Florida State University
Get started now!
"I've had Brian speak in my class at Arizona State University the last two semesters and I can't stress this enough, the information he shares is life changing for my students. "
- Ed Olsen, CEO Line Drive Sports Marketing & Adjunct Professor Arizona State University.
What Do You Get?
When you integrate our course within your curriculum your students will gain access to:
- 120+ pages of actionable career advice organized into four modules
- 20 exclusive video sessions
- 10 downloadable worksheets, checklists and cheat sheets
- 20 Quizzes and Assignments
- Audio content and interviews with industry experts
The WorkInSports.com Sports Career Game Plan is comprehensive!
As you progress through the course you’ll feel your confidence grow, and learn how to let your abilities shine through.
You will be armed with the tools to convince sports employers you are the real deal. No more sitting at the bottom of the stack of resumes, we want you on top!
Contact Brian Clapp at [email protected] with any questions about the course!
“I used Brian’s tips and tricks heading into the Texas Rangers Sports Career Fair and I received two different internship offers and multiple other great connections. Thank you, Brian, this has been a real game changer”
Ben Milliet, Trinity University
Inside the Sports Career Game Plan
There are four main pillars essential to becoming the best possible candidate for jobs in the sports industry:
- Gaining the RIGHT experience
- Building and Maintaining Your Network
- Mastering Your Resume, Cover Letter, and Personal Brand
- Interviewing for Jobs and Internships
We recognize that people absorb information differently, which is why our course content consists of written articles, audio files, videos, and worksheets.
- Our exclusive videos are hosted by course mentor Brian Clapp and provide a deeper look into the subject matter, utilizing case studies and first-hand stories to make the content come to life.
- Audio files are hand selected from the Work in Sports podcast, some are focused on a specific topic in the curriculum, while others are interviews with sports industry experts.
- Our articles are not like a textbook. There isn’t any dry content that is hard to get through, everything is written to be actionable and energized.
- Quiz yourself. At the end of each lecture, take a quiz that immediately tests your understanding of the content.
- Use our downloadable worksheets and checklists to keep yourself on track and provide a reference point for you to always refer back to.
- Access 24/7 at home, work or on the go! View the course materials on your desktop, tablet, and phone.
Check out the FREE introductory section below:
Start2.0 Perspective on Experience [VIDEO] (2:43)
Start2.1 Internships (1:16)
Start2.1A: Strategy and Approach to Internships (0:53)
Start2.1B: Developing an Internship Strategy for Sports Careers [VIDEO] (11:18)
StartAssignment Section 2.1A-B
Start2.1C: Approaching Internships from the Employers Perspective (0:56)
StartAssignment Section 2.1C
Start2.1D: Four Ways to Get the Most out of Your Internships (1:01)
Start2.1E: How to Land a Sports Internship with Little to No Experience [VIDEO} (4:42)
Start2.1F: Common Mistakes People Make on Sports Internships (0:47)
Start2.1G: How to Nail Your Sports Internship [VIDEO] (9:05)
Start2.1H: Your Sports Internship Final Checklist [VIDEO] (7:12)
StartSports Internship Worksheet [DOWNLOAD]
Start2.2A: Why Volunteering is an Excellent Way to Discover your Passion (0:11)
Start2.3 Additional Ways to Gain Experience and Build Out Your Resume (0:51)
Start2.4 Matching Your Owned Skills With Employer Needs (0:36)
Start2.4A: How to Conduct a Yearly Heat Check (0:46)
Start2.4B Understanding and Executing a Heat Check [VIDEO] (7:19)
StartHeat Check Worksheet [DOWNLOAD]
Start2.5B Relevant Podcast Episodes
Start3.0 Building Your Connections [VIDEO] (2:59)
Start3.1 Networking (0:27)
Start3.1A: Building Connections from Scratch, Zone by Zone (0:55)
Start3.1B: The Most Efficient Way to Start Building Your Network [VIDEO] (6:52)
StartNetworking Cheat Sheet [DOWNLOAD]
Start3.1C: The Five Types of People You Need in Your Professional Network (1:02)
Start3.1E Podcast: The Right Way to Network on Social Media
Start3.1F Your Ultimate Networking Tool [VIDEO] (10:35)
Start3.1G: Developing a Communication Plan for Your Growing Connections (0:52)
StartFollow Up Plan Checklist [DOWNLOAD]
Start3.2 Informational Interviews (0:59)
Start3.2A: The Art of the Informational Interview [VIDEO] (9:48)
StartInformational Interview Worksheet [DOWNLOAD]
Start3.3 Maximizing Events and Conferences
Start3.3A: Strategy and Approach to Events and Conferences (0:50)
Start3.3B: Podcast: Networking at a Large Sports Event
Start3.3C: Podcast: Making Deep Connections at a Conference or Networking Event
Start3.3D: Eight More Tactics to Get The Most Out of a Career Fair or Conference (1:02)
StartCareer Fair/Conference Checklist [DOWNLOAD]
Industry Experts Included in the Sports Career Game Plan:
- Colleen Scoles, Philadelphia Eagles Talent Acquisition Manager
- Mailynh Vu, Cleveland Indians Assistant Director of Talent Acquisition
- Chris Valente, Fenway Sports Management Director of Sales
- Mike Judge, Cleveland Browns Recruiter and Inside Sales Manager
- Don Costante, Kansas City Royals Director of Game Entertainment
- Dan Rossetti, President Prodigy Sports Recruiting Agency
- Katie Gillen, Atlanta United FC Manager Social Media and Analytics
- Samantha Wood, Philadelphia Eagles Director of Digital and Social
- Lauren Sisler, SEC Network Reporter
- Bryan Srabian, San Francisco Giants VP of Digital Media and Brand Development
- Vincent Pierson, Minor League Baseball Director of Diversity and Inclusion
- Christopher Flynn, Oakland A’s Sales Manager
- Leigh Steinberg, Iconic Sports Agent
- Emily Jaenson, Reno Aces General Manager
- Brian Killingsworth, Vegas Golden Knights Chief Marketing Officer
- Nicole Lynn, Sports Agent Young Money APAA Sports
- Dior Ginyard, NFLPA Senior Player Manager
These experts share insider information on how they got their first job, built their network and have grown in their career. They dig deep into the challenges they’ve faced, the culture of sports employment, what they look for when hiring and so much more.
In this course, you won’t just learn from Brian Clapp, you’ll learn from this esteemed group of sports industry experts!
“I just had my first sports industry interview today and got invited back for a second - I credit that to the advice you have shared! Thank you, Brian!”
Kayla Bieber, Washington State University
Brian Clapp has worked for over 20 years in the sports industry, beginning at CNN/Sports Illustrated as a Production Assistant in 1996. After working his way up to Producer, Brian branched out to Fox Sports Northwest where he was named Coordinating Producer of the Northwest Sports Report and other ancillary programs. The Boston native was promoted to News Director of Fox Sports Northwest after his first year in Seattle, where he was in charge of a multi-million dollar production budget, hiring and managing staff, journalistic decision-making and partnerships with the Seattle Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics and Sounders, and collegiate partners including the University of Washington and Washington State University.
After his time at Fox Sports Northwest, Brian joined the team at WorkInSports.com as Director of Content, sharing career advice and hosting the award-winning Work in Sports podcast.
You can contact Brian directly at [email protected] for any questions about this career changing course!